If the Golden Knights first preseason game was any indications of what to expect, it certainly shouldn’t come as a surprise that we’re heading into another thrilling season. Vegas began the 2018–19 preseason with a goal 16 seconds into their first exhibition game. The man behind the goal, Jonathan Marchessault, also scored forty-one seconds into the second period. The top line forward looked to be in midseason form, which is great news for Golden Knights fans. Expectations are high but Marchessault is ready for the challenge.
“Intensity is going to go up. As much as you work out in the summer, nothing prepares you for hockey season as much as playing some games. Definitely going to be good, I think all the guys are excited.” – Jonathan Marchessault, VGK Forward
What We Know About Jonathan Marchessault
- Undrafted Free Agent in 2011
- Right-handed Forward
- Previously played for CBJ, TB, FLA
- Signed 6-year/$30M contract with Vegas
- 2017-18 Stats: 77 Games Played, 27 Goals, 48 Assists, 75 Points, Average Time On Ice (17:30), +36, 268 Shots, 6 Power Play Goals
- Career Highs: ATOI (17:30), Assists (48), Points (75), Shots (268), +/- (+36)
The 5’9, scrappy forward is a natural goal-scorer, with impressive numbers in the last two seasons. It took Marchessault a few years to find his way in the NHL, but Vegas fans are glad he found a home in Las Vegas.
“It was never easy. Everything was always hard for me… I’m happy of the path that I took, and I’m just happy to be here, and I think it’s going to be a great experience for our whole team. We started something great, and we want to keep going, for sure.” – Jonathan Marchessault
The 27-year-old forward has a combined total of 57 goals in the past two seasons.
What We May Not Know About Jonathan Marchessault
- Born December 27, 1990 in Cap-Rouge, Quebec
- QMJHL 2011 First Team All-Star
- AHL All-Star 2012, 2013, 2015
- Awarded 2011 Bud Light Cup for Quebec’s player of the year
- Went by Jonathan Audy-Marchessault until 2013-14
- Signed entry-level deal with Columbus in 2013, Traded to Tampa in 2015, Signed with Florida in 2016
- In 2016-17, Marchessault was the first Florida Panther to score 30 goals since 2009
“We don’t necessarily need a playoff lineup, we need to have a playoff mentality. That’s by playing the right way and that’s what we’re focused on right now.” – Jonathan Marchessault
In the postseason, Marchessault led the Golden Knights with eight goals, and second in playoff points behind linemate Reilly Smith. To get back to the Stanley Cup Finals, Vegas will need the same type of performance from #81.
Last season, Attorney Adam Kutner gave away tickets to the Vegas Golden Knights home games, along with Zamboni rides during the intermissions. As an avid hockey fan, Adam Kutner looks to keep the VGK spirit alive by providing weekly news updates about the team’s offseason. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook for the latest news on our beloved Golden Knights.
Facebook: Adam S. Kutner & Associates